Moira Young's tea loaf cake
Cooking time:(plus cooling time)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This classic tea loaf is really tasty, moist and so easy to make. Best served sliced and buttered with a cup of tea. The best thing is it improves with keeping so put in an airtight box and you can enjoy it for weeks
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of mixed, dried fruit
- 1 cup of cold tea
- 1tsp of mixed spice
- 1oz of margarine
- 2 cups of self-raising flour
- 1 egg
Cup measures vary from country-to-country. In the US, a cup is 250ml. However, as long as you're using the same sized cup for all your measurements, your cake will work - cooking times may need to vary. For this recipe you could try using a tea cup.
- Put the sugar, dried fruit, tea, mixed spice and margarine into a pan.
- Slowly bring to boil, stirring all the time, and then let it stand to cool down.
- Add the flour and egg and beat the mixture together.
- Pour into a loaf tin and bake at 180ºC for 90 mins or until knife inserted is clear.
- Leave the cake in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve in thick slices with butter.