Bread and butter pudding
Skill level: Easy peasy
This classic British dessert is the ultimate in comfort food - and a definite people-pleaser on cold winter evenings
- 400g sliced raisin bread loaf, crusts cut off
- 30g (1oz) butter, softened
- 500g tub fresh vanilla custard
- 300ml (½pt) double cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
Can't find - or don't fancy - raisin bread? Normal bread will work just as well.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6). Cut each slice of bread into triangles, butter one side and arrange, buttered-side up, in a buttered ovenproof dish.
- Gently heat custard with cream until just warm. Pour over the bread, pressing down slightly to make sure the custard is absorbed.
- Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 30-40 mins, until the top is golden but the middle is soft.