Saffron-scented bread sauce
The best way to make the breadcrumbs is in a liquidiser, if you have one.
- 1 pint milk
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 cloves
- Pinch of saffron strands
- 175g (6oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 30g (1oz) butter
- Pour milk into a saucepan and add onion, bay leaves and cloves.
- Bring to the boil, then remove pan from the heat and leave for milk to infuse.
- Place saffron strands on a sheet of baking parchment on a baking tray and cook in a hot oven for a few minutes to dry out (it doesn't matter too much what the oven temperature is as long as the saffron dries).
- Strain milk into a saucepan, reserving a bay leaf for garnish.
- Cook the sauce over a low heat for about 5-10 mins until thickened. If it thickens too much, thin with a little extra milk.
- Season sauce to taste and add the butter just before serving. Garnish with bay leaf.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 206(kcal)
- Fat 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.