Orange fairy cakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These dairy-free, gluten-free fairy cakes taste as good as they look and great for any allergy sufferers. Tuck in for a tasty guilt-free treat.
- 125g (4oz) gluten-free plain white flour
- 1 level tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 125g (4oz) dairy-free spread
- 90g (3oz) Fruisana fruit sugar, plus 1 extra tbsp (alternatively, use 125g/4oz caster sugar)
- 2 medium eggs
- Grated rind and juice 1 large orange
- 8 muffin tins, lined with fairy-cake paper cases
Whisper it: if everyone's allergy-free, these cakes are just as delicious made with butter and plain flour.
- Set the oven to 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5).
- Put the flour, baking powder, spread, sugar and eggs in a mixing bowl; add half the grated orange rind and 1tbsp water.
- Beat well with a wooden spoon until mixed. Spoon the mixture into the paper cake cases.
- Bake for 15 mins. Remove the cakes from the muffin tins and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Heat the orange juice in a small pan with the extra tbsp of sugar. Boil until syrupy.
- Pour over the hot cakes, then sprinkle with the rest of the grated orange rind. Leave to cool before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 260(kcal)
- Fat 15.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.