Winter vegetable gratin
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2¼ lb (1kg) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 500g ready-made cheese sauce
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 100g (4oz) grated Cheddar cheese
- 100g (4oz) fresh breadcrumbs
Don't fancy leeks and carrots? Any cooked vegetable will work well with this dish.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5). Melt the butter in a pan and cook the leek for 5 mins until it softens.
- Boil the carrots for 10 mins, then the potatoes for 5 mins until almost tender. Drain and add to the leek. Pour over the cheese sauce, add the mustard and a little seasoning, and mix well over a low heat.
- Pour the veg into a baking dish and top with the cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 mins until golden and bubbling.
- Serve with salad or some steamed broccoli.