Pepper and Gorgonzola tarts
For the pastry:
- 125g (4oz) plain flour
- 50g (1¾ oz) walnuts
- Pinch of salt
- 60g (2oz) unsalted butter
For the filling:
- 1 red pepper, halved and de-seeded
- 1 yellow pepper, halved and de-seeded
- 1 green pepper, halved and de-seeded
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 150-175g (5-6oz) Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1 medium egg
- 142ml (¼ pt) carton double cream
- 8 pitted black olives, quartered
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 x 12cm (4½ in) fluted flan tins
This tart isn't suitable for freezing so you'll have to make sure you eat it up asap!
- Set the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6).
- To make the pastry, place flour, walnuts and salt into the bowl of a food processor and whizz until the walnuts are finely ground. Add the butter and whizz until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add 3-4tbsp cold water and process until the mixture just starts to bind together. Divide the pastry into fpir, roll each portion out and use to line flan tins, trimming away the excess and pricking the bases with a fork. Chill the pastry cases for at least 15 mins.
- Line the cases with baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Place the tins on a baking sheet and bake for 10 mins. Remove from oven and lift out the paper with the baking beans. Return the cases to the oven for a further 2-5 mins, or until the pastry is cooked through. Remove from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (180°F, gas mark 4).
- To make the filling, place the peppers and onion in a bowl, pour over the olive oil and coat the vegetables in the oil. Place the peppers, cut-side down, on a tray and add the onions. Cook under a hot grill until the vegetables start to char, turning the onion wedges occasionally so that they colour evenly.
- Remove the vegetables from the grill, place the peppers in a plastic bag, and leave them to cool. When cold, peel the skins from the peppers and discard, and cut the flesh into strips.
- Arrange the peppers and onion in the pastry cases and sprinkle over the sage and crumbled cheese. Lightly beat together the egg and cream and pour into the tart cases. Scatter the olives on top. Season with black pepper. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 mins or until the filling is just set.
- Remove from the oven and leave the tarts to rest for a few mins, then remove them from the tins. Either serve immediately, or allow them to cool on a wire rack and chill for up to two days. Reheat on a baking sheet in a hot oven for 5-10 mins before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 787(kcal)
- Fat 66.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.