Red berry shortcakes
Cooking time:plus cooling time
The slight tartness of the berries in this recipe contrasts beautifully with the sweet whipped filling. Irresistible!
- 110g (4oz) butter
- 50g (2oz) icing sugar
- 100g (4oz) plain flour, sifted
- 50g (2oz) semolina flour or rice flour, sifted
- Pinch salt
- 100ml (4fl oz) double cream, lightly whipped
- 100ml (4fl oz) low-fat yogurt
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 400g (14oz) mixed summer berries, any stalks removed
Pushed for time? Use readymade shortcake biscuits instead of making your own.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4). Meanwhile, cream the butter and the icing sugar together with a wooden spoon, then quickly work in the sifted flours and salt. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 mins.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until it's 6mm (½ in) thick. Stamp out 12 circles using a 9cm (3½ in) round cutter then cook on a baking sheet for 10 mins until a pale gold colour. Leave them to cool on a wire rack.
- Mix the whipped cream, yogurt, caster sugar and vanilla extract together. Sandwich the biscuits together with the yogurt cream, then top with the berries. Dust with icing sugar to serve.