Mixed vegetable and blue cheese parcels
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and finely diced
- 3 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- 1 medium egg white, lightly beaten
- 60g (2oz) blue Shropshire cheese, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
Filo pastry dries out and becomes fragile very quickly. Keep your sheets covered with a damp tea towel until you use them.
- Heat a non-stick frying-pan, add the oil, pepper, celery and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly coloured. Stir in the spring onion, herbs and seasoning. Set aside to cool.
- Set the oven to 200°C (400°C, gas mark 6). Brush one sheet of pastry with a little egg white. Lay a second sheet at right angles over the first, brush with egg white. Repeat with another two sheets at right angles.
- Spoon half the vegetables into the centre of the pastry and top with half the crumbled cheese. Gather up the ends of the pastry to form a parcel and press tightly together in the middle with your fingertips to seal. Arrange the top so the pastry is not too thick.
- Place the parcel on a baking sheet. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Make another parcel. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes until golden.
- Serve the pastries with salad and new potatoes.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 324(kcal)
- Fat 17.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.