Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This classic Bolognese has been given a vegetarian-friendly twist. Our vegetarian Bolognese is so simple to make taking only 30 mins to total to prepare and cook. This recipe serves 4 people making it perfect as a mid-week family meal. Vegetarians don't need to miss out on this classic Italian dish. The vegetarian Worcestershire sauce (the original version has fish in it) will give it a welcome kick. If you're not a fan of spaghetti swap for other shapes instead like penne or bows. Serve with vegetarian-friendly Parmesan cheese before tucking in.
- 400g (14oz) mixed chopped vegetables (onion, courgettes, carrots and peppers all work well)
- 300g (11oz) pack Quorn mince
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 3tbsp tomato purée
- 400g (14 oz) pasta
Wholemeal pasta gives you more fibre and nutrients than pasta that uses refined flour.
- Gently fry the vegetables in 1tbsp oil for 5 mins, until soft. Add the Quorn mince and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, vegetarian Worcestershire sauce, tomato purée and 200ml (7fl oz) water. Season, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins.
- Cook the pasta according the pack's instructions and drain. Pour the Bolognese sauce on top. Sprinkle with Parmesan shavings to serve.
See how to make our classic spaghetti Bolognese recipe