- 4 sheets filo pastry, 18 x 31cm (7 x 12½ in)
- 30-45g (1-1½ oz) butter, melted
- 60g (2oz) soft light brown sugar
- ½ 1/2 level tsp mixed spice
- Zested rind of 1 lemon
- 500g (1lb) cherries, stoned
- 50g (1¾ oz) walnuts, chopped
- Icing sugar, for dredging
- Baking tray, buttered
If you're using frozen filo, allow it to thaw in the fridge for around 24 hours.
- Set the oven to fairly hot, 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6).
- Lay out two sheets of filo pastry, overlapping the long edges slightly, and brush with a thin layer of melted butter. Place the two remaining sheets on top and brush these with butter. Sprinkle over most of the brown sugar, the mixed spice and the lemon rind. Scatter the cherries and walnuts on top, leaving a clear rim along one side. Roll the strudel up to enclose the cherries, and fold the ends under. Place strudel on the baking tray, brush it with butter and sprinkle over the remaining brown sugar.
- Bake the strudel in the centre of the oven for 15-20 mins or until the pastry is crisp and the cherries are tender.
- Remove strudel from the oven and dredge with icing sugar. Serve warm with crème fraîche or custard.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 194(kcal)
- Fat 10.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.