Gluten-free Tuscan-style pizza
Costs: Cheap as chips
This gluten-free pizza is piled high with fresh flavours - you'll never order a takeaway again
For the gluten-free pizza base dough:
- 450g (15oz) gluten-free white bread flour
- 2 level tbsp sugar
- 1 level tsp salt
- 2 level tsp gluten-free yeast
- 40g (just under 1½ oz) whole egg replacer (or 2 medium eggs)
- 300ml (½ pint) unsweetened soya milk
- 1tsp cider vinegar
- 4tbsp olive oil
For the pizza topping:
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 fat clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 small chilli, de-seeded and chopped, optional
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2tbsp tomato ketchup
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 180g tub marinaded and grilled artichokes in oil, or similar product
- 3 slices Parma ham
- 30g (1oz) Cheddar-style cheese, coarsely grated
- A few sprigs of thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 black olives, optional
- Large heavy baking sheet, lightly oiled
Use the dough recipe as a base for experimenting with your favourite pizza toppings.
- To make the pizza base: Mix the flour, sugar, salt, yeast and egg replacer in the bowl of an electric mixer/food processor fitted with a dough hook, or use a large bowl.
- Measure the milk into a jug and add 175ml (6fl oz) hot water (unless you are using eggs, then only add 2tbsp hot water and beat in the eggs), the cider vinegar and oil.
- Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and mix really well to make a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- To make the pizza: Spoon the other half of the dough on to the baking sheet and spread to around about 25cm (10in) in diameter. Leave, uncovered, in a warm place to rise; allow about 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, make the topping: Cook the onion in the oil in a frying pan for about 5 mins until softened.
- Add the garlic and chilli, if using, then cook for another minute before stirring in the tomatoes, ketchup and seasoning. Simmer and let it thicken for 10-15 mins.
- Leave in the pan to cool while the pizza base rises.
- Set the oven to 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7).
- Spread the tomato topping over the base to within about 1cm (½ in) of the edge. Arrange halved artichoke hearts on top with strips of Parma ham, sprinkle with cheese, thyme leaves and olives, if using, and drizzle with the oil from the artichokes - about 1tbsp. Season well.
- Bake for 10 mins near the bottom of the oven then turn the oven down to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6) and cook for another 20 mins until really crisp on the bottom. Serve warm with salad.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 213(kcal)
- Fat 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.