Spinach and cheese pie
These mouth-watering triangles are prefect party food, with delicious filo pastry and the rich tangy taste of feta cheese
- 6 sheets filo pastry, about 30 x 20cm (12 x 8in)
- 50g (1¾ oz) butter, melted
For the filling:
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 500g (1lb) baby spinach, washed and dried
- 2 level tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 2 level tbsp freshly chopped dill
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 200g (7oz) packet feta cheese, coarsely crumbled
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 26 x 16.5cm (10¼ x 6 ½ in) shallow tin, buttered
Keep your filo pastry covered with a damp towel before you use it, to prevent it drying out and becoming fragile.
- Set the oven to 200°C (200°F, gas mark 6)
- To make the filling: Heat the olive oil in a large pan, then add the onion and cook it gently over a medium heat for 5-7 mins, or until the onion has softened but not coloured. Add the spinach to the pan and stir until it wilts completely.
- Remove pan from the heat and leave the mixture to cool for about 10 mins, then stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Spread out a sheet of filo pastry, brush lightly with butter and place another sheet of filo on top. Brush with butter and place another sheet of filo on top of that. Use these three layers to line the base of the tin, with any excess going up the sides.
- Spread spinach layer on top. Layer up the remaining sheets of filo with butter, as for the base, and rest them on top of the tin, with any excess hanging over the edge. Score pastry into triangular shapes. Brush a thin layer of butter over the top. Bake in the centre of the oven for 30-40 mins, or until the pastry is a golden colour.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool for about 10 mins before cutting all the way through, following scoring, and remove from tin. Serve warm or cold.
- Not suitable for freezing.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 60(kcal)
- Fat 4.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.