Cherry and coconut loaf
Total time:Plus cooling time
Cherry and cocout loaf is a really easy-to-make cake that perfectly blends the sweet taste of cherries with the exotic flavour or coconut. The two really are a match made in heaven and in such a light and soft loaf sponge, a slice of this cake with a cup of tea is a real treat! You can prep this cake in about 15 minutes and then stick it in the oven for 45 minutes which means it couldn't be easier to make, as once it's in the oven you can put your feet up and relax.
- 250g (8oz) plain flour
- 175g (6oz) butter, softened
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 2tbsp milk
- 150g (5oz) glacé cherries
- 60g (2oz) desiccated coconut
- 1kg (2lb) loaf tin, buttered and lined with a strip of baking parchment
The cake may be wrapped in a freezer bag and frozen for up to three months.
- Set the oven to moderate, 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4). Sift the flour into a bowl. Add the butter, sugar, eggs and milk, and beat until smooth.
- Cut cherries in half and fold into the mixture along with the desiccated coconut. Spoon into the loaf tin and level the surface.
- Bake the loaf in the centre of the oven for 45 mins to 1 hr, or until the cake has risen and feels firm to the touch, and a skewer comes out clean after being inserted into the centre.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10-15 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Looking for food gifts? We've got plenty more to choose from!
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 390(kcal)
- Fat 20.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.