Serve this delicious Greek dip either hot or cold, with warm pitta
- 175g (60z) yellow split peas
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4tbsp virgin olive oil
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 level tbsp freshly chopped oregano
- Drizzle of olive oil and sliced spring onion, to garnish
- Warm pitta bread to serve
If the dip thickens during chilling, stir in a little more boiling water. Stir just before serving, drizzle over a little olive oil and garnish with sliced spring onions. Serve with warm pitta.
- Rinse the split peas and place them in a saucepan with the onion and garlic.
- Cover with water, add salt and bring to the boil, then simmer for about 45 mins, until they are soft.
- Drain the peas and onion and place in the bowl of a food processor. Add the oil and purée until smooth. If the mixture is very thick, then add a little boiling water.
- Stir in the spring onions, oregano and seasoning to taste.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 164(kcal)
- Fat 8.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.