Costs: Cheap as chips
This easy cheesy leeks recipe is a great way to make the most of our spring, seasonal favourite. Treat your dinner party guests to this complimentary blend of fresh leeks and tasty Cheedar cheese. This recipe serves 4 people and will take only 10 mins to cook. It's the perfect side dish for your roast dinner or dish on it's own served with crusty bread for lunch. This simple recipe is a family favourite! It's also a great dish to wheel out when you're hosting a dinner party or looking for something different to make as party food.
- 4 leeks
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 25g (1oz) plain flour
- 300ml (½ pt) milk
- 125g (5oz) grated Cheddar
- 1tbsp grain mustard
Wrap leeks before putting them in your fridge - they give off an aroma that can be absorbed by other items.
- Preheat grill to high. Cut the leeks in half and cook in boiling water for 3-4 mins.
- Drain the leeks and put in a baking dish. Melt the butter, then add the plain flour and cook for 1 min.
- Gradually add milk, stirring until you have a thick sauce.
- Stir in 100g (4oz) grated Cheddar and 1tbsp grain mustard. Season.
- Pour over leeks and top with some extra cheese. Grill for 5 mins.