Enjoy the creamy texture of risotto with the delicate flavour of asparagus.
- 15ml (1tbsp) olive oil
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 225g (8oz) risotto rice
- 150ml (¼ pt) white wine
- 600ml (1pt) hot vegetable stock
- 225g (8oz) thin asparagus spears, trimmed and stalks chopped
- 175g (6oz) fresh or frozen peas
- 25g (1oz) finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh rocket leaves and Parmesan cheese shavings
Use delicious British asparagus for this recipe while it's in season (May-June).
- Heat the oil and butter in a large deep frying pan and fry the onion for 5 mins. Add the rice and cook for 1 min, then stir in the wine and boil rapidly until wine has evaporated.
- Gradually add the hot stock, one ladleful at a time, stirring all the time and allowing the liquid to evaporate before adding more. Continue for 20-25 mins until the rice is just tender.
- Meanwhile, cook asparagus stalks and tips and the peas in a pan of boiling water for 2-3 mins. Drain well.
- Stir the asparagus stalks and peas into the risotto with the grated Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve topped with the asparagus tips, rocket, and Parmesan cheese shavings.