Chargrilled vegetable salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
A colourful and delicious combination of warm vegetables, with a tangy balsamic dressing
- 1 small aubergine, sliced
- 2 courgettes, thickly sliced
- 2 small onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 large yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 120ml (8tbsp) olive oil
- 30ml (2tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- 5ml (1tsp) sugar
- 15ml (1tbsp) capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic ciabatta bread
For an extra-tangy dressing, add 1tbsp of wholegrain mustard.
- Place the aubergine, courgettes, onions, peppers and garlic in a shallow bowl and add 60ml (4tbsp) of the olive oil. Toss to coat in the oil. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6).
- Heat a cast-iron skillet or griddle and cook the vegetables on the hot surface, in batches, for 5-6 mins, turning frequently until charred and just tender. Transfer to a bowl. Whisk together the rest of the oil with the vinegar, sugar and capers. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and pour over the hot vegetables.
- Bake the garlic ciabatta bread for 8-10 mins, then cut into slices. Arrange two slices of garlic bread on each plate and top with the vegetables and dressing.