Chicken and prawn paella recipe
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
This classic one-pot chicken and prawn paella recipe is a Spanish dish that's not only delicious, but it also saves on the washing-up! Not all traditional paellas use chicken, but we like it better this way. Cooked in just 1hr, this delicious chicken paella recipe serves 4 people. This classic chicken paella dish is infused with chorizo sausage, onion, garlic, saffron and paprika. Serve with a cut of crusty bread and drizzle in lemon juice before serving. Make this chicken paella extra healthy by swapping the traditional paella rice for brown rice instead. This easy chorizo paella recipe is perfect if you want to bring a taste of your favourite summer holiday, home. This meal is great for sharing with the whole family. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat thoroughly before serving again. This recipe is just perfect served with freshly baked bread or crusty baguette for dipping into the meat and spice juices.
Serve with lemon wedges and crusty bread for a delicious filling supper.
IngredientsFor this chicken and prawn paella recipe you will need
- 30ml (2tbsp) olive oil
- 175g (6oz) chorizo sausage, sliced
- 450g (1lb) chicken fillets, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 225g (8oz) paella rice
- Few strands saffron
- 900ml (1¾ pt) chicken stock
- 100g (4oz) green beans, halved
- 225g (8oz) cooked tiger prawns
- 5ml (1tsp) ground paprika
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and fry the chorizo for 2-3 mins. Remove and set aside. Add the chicken to the pan and fry over a high heat until browned all over. Remove and set aside with the chorizo.
- Fry the onion and garlic in the hot oil for 4-5 mins until softened, then add the pepper and rice. Cook for 1 min, stir in the saffron and chicken stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add beans. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 10 mins, stirring frequently until the rice is tender and nearly all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the fried chorizo and tiger prawns to the pan and stir in gently. Cook for 4-5 mins until both are heated through. Serve on warmed plates and sprinkle with paprika.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.