Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Our easy sweetcorn fritters recipe is one for the whole family. These crispy sweetcorn fritters take 20 minutes to make and are loved by kids and grown-ups. This recipe is so simple you could get the kids involved in the making and cooking process. Let them measure, whisk and help with cooking the fritters. This recipe makes 10 fritters - perfect for lunch or dinner served with potatoes and salad. Serve your sweetcorn fritters with a dip like sweet chilli sauce for an added kick of spice or mayo for a light, creamy taste. You could try this recipe with other tinned vegetables too like peas or beans.
Add flavour with spring onions, a splash of soy or chilli sauce, or chopped coriander. Children will love them just as they are, but grown-ups can add hotter flavours.
- 100g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- Medium egg
- 150ml milk
- 198g can sweetcorn kernels
- Salsa, either store-bought or home-made, to serve
- Sift the flour, baking powder and seasoning into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, add a medium egg and gradually beat in 150ml milk to form a smooth batter.
- Drain a 198g can sweetcorn kernels, pat dry on kitchen towel, then add to the batter mix with any thing else you fancy (see the tip!).
- In a frying pan, add a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Once hot, fry spoonfuls of mixture for about 2 mins each side until golden and crisp on each side.
- Serve the sweetcorn fritters with a salsa or a quick salad of peppers, spring onions, tomatoes and cucumber.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.