Creamy chicken and carrot hotpot
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
The combination of risotto, cream cheese and fresh parsley add tons of flavour to this easy-to-make one-pot casserole, a perfect comfort food dish for the whole family
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2tbsp rapeseed oil
- 350g carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
- 2 leeks, trimmed, washed and thickly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 150g risotto rice
- 750ml strong chicken stock
- 200g cream cheese
- 2tbsp parsley, finely chopped
If you're looking to make this dish healthier, use low-fat cream cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/ gas mark 4).
- Heat 1tbsp of the oil in a large casserole dish then add the chicken, brown well on the skin side, then turn and cook briefly on the underside. Remove from the dish then return the pan to the heat with the second tablespoon of oil.
- Add the carrot and leek and cook over a gentle heat for 10 mins, until the vegetables have softened and started to take on some colour. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 mins.
- Add the risotto rice and stir in well. Blend in the stock and bring up to the boil. Return the chicken pieces to the dish, cover and cook in the preheated oven for 30 mins, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the cream cheese. Season well with sea salt and black pepper then garnish with the parsley and serve immediately.