Little lamb and carrot pasties
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
These individual lamb and carrot pasties make a tasty filling snack for parties, day trips or lunch. Make them as part of a buffet as parties.
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil
- 100g minced lamb
- 100g carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/2 an onion, peeled and very finely diced or grated
- 1/2 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 15g pine nuts
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2tsp ground cumin
- 1/2tbsp coriander, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 x 375g packs ready rolled puff pastry
- 2tbsp Greek / natural yoghurt
- 4tbsp tomato ketchup
- First prepare the filling. Heat the rapeseed oil in a frying pan and add the lamb. Cook over a medium heat until the mince is well browned. Set aside.
- Lower the heat, add the onion, and cook gently for 10 mins until it is softened and translucent. Add the garlic, cinnamon and cumin and cook for a further two minutes. Add the carrots and pine nuts, and return the lamb mince to the pan. Cook for five minutes, stirring constantly, then remove into a bowl and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to Gas 7/220°C/425°F. When the filling is completely cold, unroll the pastry and cut out 4 inch rounds. Place a spoonful of filling onto each round. Brush beaten egg around the outside of each round, then fold in half and crimp the edges. Place the pasties on a baking sheet, and glaze the top carefully with the remaining beaten egg.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 20-25 mins, until the pasties are golden brown. Mix together the yoghurt and tomato ketchup and serve alongside the pasties as a dipping sauce.