Slow roast tomatoes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Slow roasting tomatos in a little sugar and olive oil really brings out their natural flavour. You can also add fresh herbs or chilli flakes.
- 12 British classic or large plum tomatoes
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- A good twist of ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5).
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters and arrange in a single layer in a shallow roasting tin. Toss in the oil, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 1½-2 hrs turning from time to time. They are ready when reduced, deep red and just beginning to char. For a 'sun blushed' effect, remove the tomatoes from the oven a little earlier.
- Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.