Brussels sprouts with glazed shallots
The sweet caramelised shallots are a delicious way to make your sprouts irresistible. If you can't get shallots, use onions and cut them into 'moons' leaving the root intact.
- 100g (4oz) small shallots, peeled with roots left intact
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 225g (8oz) Brussels sprouts, trimmed and tops cut with a deep cross
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Make sure you use sprouts of a similar size to ensure they cook at the same rate and don't let them overcook, you want to retain their lovely bright green colour. If you wish, you can steam them over a pan of boiling water for 15-20 mins until tender.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan until frothy, add the shallots and toss well. Sprinkle with the sugar and stir gently until dissolved. Reduce the heat and cook gently for 8-10 mins until the sugar caramelises and the shallots are tender, adding 1-2 tbsp water if the caramel starts to stick to the pan before the shallots are cooked.
- Meanwhile bring a pan of salted water to the boil and add the prepared sprouts. Cover and cook for 5-7 mins until tender. Drain well and add to the caramelised shallots. Season and combine well to coat the sprouts. Serve immediately.