Buttered swede with crispy bacon
Creamy, orange-fleshed swede has a wonderful nutty, sweet flavour that is perfect with the Sunday roast.
- 1 small to medium swede,
- 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 50g (2oz) butter
- Small bunch fresh chives, optional
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
Replace the bacon with thinly sliced salami. Grill till crisp as above. Cook the bacon in the microwave. Put the rashers on a double sheet of kitchen paper and cook on high for 1 minute. Now cook in bursts of 15 secs until the bacon is crispy. For a light meal, serve the buttered swede with a softly poached egg on top.
- Peel the swede and cut into large chunks. Drop into a pan of boiling, lightly salted water and cook, uncovered, for 15-20mins or until very tender.
- While the swede is cooking grill the bacon until all the fat is very crisp. Leave to cool a little then chop quite roughly. Chop the chives if using.
- Drain the swede and mash with the butter and pepper until almost smooth. Pour in any bacon fat from the grill pan. Serve straight away with a little of the crispy bacon and chives sprinkled on top.