Winter pot roast
Cooking time:per 450g (1lb), plus 30-40 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
This wonderful winter warmer takes a while to cook - but it's well worth the wait
- Cooking time: 30-40 mins per 450g (1lb), plus 30-40 mins
- 1.3kg (3lb) lean brisket or silverside joint
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 50g (2oz) streaky bacon, cut into cubes (or pancetta cubes)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small celeriac, peeled and cubed or 2 large celery sticks, chopped
- ½ pint good, hot beef stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2tbsp freshly chopped parsley
This pot roast tastes great served with cauliflower cheese.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slashes over the surface taking care not to cut the butcher's string. Season with salt and dust with the cayenne pepper on both sides.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown all over with the bacon or pancetta. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish.
- In the same frying pan, add the onion, carrot and celeriac or celery. Cook over a moderate heat for 3-4 mins then spoon into the casserole dish.
- Add the stock, chopped tomatoes and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook on the hob or in the oven for 2½-3hours.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.