Prep time:plus soaking overnight
Skill level: Master chef
Learn how to make perfect mince pies for Christmas with this classic recipe, which comes out perfectly every time! This mince pies recipe takes a bit of time to prepare and you need to make the mixture the day before - but they're worth every fruity bite. Homemade mincemeat is so much better than shop-bought, and it's that taste of Christmas that nothing compares to. Make a batch to share over the run up to Christmas, whether you're passing them round at your Christmas party or having them with a glass of mulled wine on Christmas Eve. This recipe makes 12 classic mince pies topped with pastry stars and will take around 50 mins to prepare and 20 mins to cook. There's no better way to get into the Christmas spirit.
Making them in advance? Freeze on a baking tray then transfer to a sealed container when completely frozen. Reheat from frozen at 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6) for 15 mins.
For the mincemeat:
- 50g (1¾ oz) each of sultanas, raisins and currants
- 1 Bramley apple, cored and coarsely grated
- 50g (1¾ oz) dark muscovado sugar
- 50g (1¾ oz) luxury mixed candied peel, finely chopped
- 25g (1oz) glacé cherries, roughly chopped
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tbsp mixed spice
- 25g (1oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 60ml (2½ fl oz) brandy
For the pastry:
- 75g (2¾ oz) icing sugar
- 75g (2¾ oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 medium egg yolks
- 200g (7oz) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- Pinch of salt
- 2tbsp milk
- Caster sugar, for dusting
- At least one day ahead, mix together all the mincemeat ingredients, cover and set aside.
- To make the pastry, mix sugar, butter and egg yolks in a food processor until smooth. Mix in 2tbsp cold water, then blend in the flour and salt and knead into a ball on a floured surface. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 15 mins.
- Preheat oven to 190C, gas 5). Roll pastry out on to a floured surface. Cut out 12 discs, using a 7cm fluted cutter, and line a 12-hole tin. Combine pastry trimmings into a ball, cover and chill.
- Stir the mincemeat, then fill each case with 1tsp mincemeat. Roll out remaining pastry and use a star-shaped cookie cutter to make tops for the pies. Place one on each pie, brush with milk, dust with sugar and bake for 20 mins. Transfer on to wire racks and, once cool, store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Looking for food gifts? We've got plenty more to choose from!
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.