Nutty toffee apples
Total time:(plus cooling time)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Usually eaten on Bonfire Night, these nutty toffee apples are also great for Halloween too and kids' parties all year round. Quick and easy too.
- 6 red dessert apples
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- 350g (12oz) granulated sugar
- 50g (1¾ oz) flaked almonds
Top tip: Avoid stirring the sugar while it cooks as it could crystallise.
- Oil a baking sheet and push a lolly stick (or trimmed chopstick) into each apple at the stalk end.
- Melt the granulated sugar in a medium-sized pan over a medium heat. As it begins to melt, gently swirl it around the pan.
- Once all the sugar has melted, carefully tip in the almonds and combine, again by swirling the pan. Remove from the heat.
- Dip the apples into the caramel one at a time, turning them to ensure they are well coated. Leave them to cool for a few minutes on the prepared baking sheet, then transfer to a platter and serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 349(kcal)
- Fat 6.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.