Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Bit of effort
Banana cake is naturally sweet, moist and deliciously rich and this easy banana cake recipe makes an impressive cake that would look the part at a celebration. The moist sponge is sprinkled with walnuts and topped with a rich chocolate buttercream to complement the banana. To make this banana cake recipe, you need to make sure the bananas you use are very ripe and brown - in fact, it's a great way to use up bananas that have been left in the fruit bowl for some time. This will pack your sponge full of sweet flavour and make your banana cake extra moist and soft. If you're not a fan of chocolate buttercream on your banana cake, you can swap this for vanilla instead, or you could even drizzle your banana cake in a light icing sugar and water mix to give it a simple glaze. This easy banana cake recipe serves 12 people, so it's great for a gathering. This easy banana cake only takes 1hr and 15 mins to make, but just 15 minutes to prepare. Easy! Any leftovers (ha!) can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Add ½tsp cinnamon to the banana cake mix for extra spice.
- 450g overripe bananas
- 70g butter
- 175g granulated sugar
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 200g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 70g chopped walnuts
For the icing:
- 25g butter
- 2tsp cocoa powder
- 175g icing sugar, sifted
- Few drops vanilla extract
- Extra chopped walnuts, to decorate (optional)
- To make this superfood recipe, preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line an 18cm (7in) round cake tin.
- Reserve half a banana for the icing and place the rest of the bananas in a mixing bowl. Mash until smooth, then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs and bananas, and beat until smooth. Stir in the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda and mix thoroughly. Quickly mix in the walnuts, then pour into the baking tin.
- Bake in the oven for 60-75 mins or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Turn out the banana cake and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, place the butter and cocoa powder in a small saucepan. Heat until melted. Mash the reserved banana until very smooth. Add the melted butter mixture to the mashed banana and beat well, then add the icing sugar and vanilla extract. Beat thoroughly until very smooth. Use to ice the top of the banana cake once it has cooled. Decorate with chopped walnuts if you wish.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.