Pork, cranberry and chestnut stuffing with chipolatas
This delicious stuffing is guaranteed to please everyone at the Christmas dinner table
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 350g (12oz) top-quality
- pork sausage meat
- 1 Bramley apple,
- coarsely grated
- 2tsp dried juniper
- berries, crushed
- 100g (3½ oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 200g (7oz) vacuum-packed cooked chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 100g (3½ oz) dried cranberries
- 1 medium egg
For the chipolatas
- 9 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 18 top-quality chipolatas
- ½ x 15g (½ oz) pack fresh thyme sprigs
Not having turkey? This stuffing tastes just as nice with goose or chicken.
- Make the stuffing by combining all the ingredients. Cover and chill.
- Use some of the mixture to stuff the turkey. Shape any leftover mixture into golf-ball-sized balls and keep chilled.
- While the turkey roasts, cut the bacon rashers in half lengthways and wrap around the chipolatas, pushing a little thyme sprig into each bundle. Place the chipolatas and stuffing balls in a roasting tin lined with greaseproof paper. Scatter over a handful of thyme.
- Place in the oven when the turkey comes out and roast for 30 mins, until cooked through and golden.