Lemon and broccoli risotto
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This lovely lemony risotto with crunchy broccoli, shallots and a cheeky splash of white wine is always a good vegetarian option at dinner parties.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 55g (2oz) butter
- 8 shallots, finely chopped
- 850ml (1½ pt) vegetable stock
- 280g (10oz) risotto rice
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 glass white wine
- 250g (9oz) broccoli florets, blanched for 5 mins and refreshed under cold water
- 115g (4oz) vegetarian Pecorino cheese, grated (or vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese)
- Fresh parsley, to serve
To stop the rice from sticking to the pan, keep stirring the stock into it as it cooks.
- Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan and sauté the shallots for 5 mins. Bring the stock to a simmer in a pan. Add the rice and lemon zest to the shallots and stir for 2 mins.
- When the mixture is hissing in the pan, add the wine, reduce the heat, then add the stock, allowing 1 ladleful to absorb at a time.
- Add the broccoli and half the Pecorino cheese with the last ladleful of stock. Cover, set aside for 5 mins, then serve with the remaining cheese and fresh parsley on top.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 570(kcal)
- Fat 27.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.