Red cabbage with apples and sultanas
Cooking time:(plus overnight chilling)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Apples and sultanas give a fruity kick to this red cabbage side dish. It requires overnight chilling - but it's worth the effort, especially if you're making it for your Christmas dinner
- 35g (1¼ oz) unsalted butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 50g (1¾ oz) sultanas
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red cabbage, shredded
- 2 pinches freshly
- Grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 3tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 3tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 Bramley apples, cored
- and cut into large chunks
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- Salt and black pepper
After overnight chilling, you can reheat the cabbage in the microwave if you prefer. Make sure it's piping hot before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F, gas mark 2). Melt the butter in a large heavy-based casserole dish over a low heat and cook the onions and sultanas for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, until the onions have started to colour. Add the remaining ingredients, except the apples and orange zest, and cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 1½ hrs, stirring at half-hour intervals. Remove from the oven and stir in the apples and orange zest, then return to the oven for a further 30 mins. Allow to come to room temperature, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Just before serving, reheat over a medium heat for about 15 mins, until piping hot. Season to taste.