Costs: Cheap as chips
Meatballs and spaghetti makes a great family meal - and you can whip the whole lot up in just 25 minutes. Brilliant!
- 6 free-range pork and leek sausages
- A little olive oil (for frying)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 small courgettes, chopped into small pieces
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 700g jar passata (smooth tomato sauce you can buy from supermarkets, or make your own by passing tomatoes through a blender or mill)
- 2tbsp fresh or 1-2tsp dried oregano
- Dash of Worcester sauce
- 375g (13oz) spaghetti
To encourage the kids to eat their greens, we've hidden the courgette in our sauce!
- Squeeze the meat from the sausage cases and roll into small balls. Fry in batches in a little olive oil until brown, then set aside.
- Fry the onion and courgettes for 5 mins or until softened. Stir in the crushed garlic and fry for a further minute before adding the passata, oregano and Worcester sauce.
- Cook over a medium heat for 5 mins, then add the meatballs and cook for a further 5 mins, stirring occasionally, or until the meatballs are warmed through.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions. Drain, then stir into the meatball sauce. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 350(kcal)
- Fat 24.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.