Strawberry and mascarpone cream sponge
Prep time:(including decorating time)
Cooking time:(may need an extra 5 mins)
Costs: Cheap as chips
This delicious strawberry and mascarpone cream sponge is a quick and easy way to transform that classic Victoria sponge cake. Strawberry and mascarpone cream make a luxury take on a Victoria sponge, taking only 1hr and 15 mins to prepare and bake. This recipe makes 1 regular sized cake, enough to feed 6-8 people, depending on how big you like to cut your slices! The fresh strawberries add a sweet, tangy flavour to every bite of this moist, dense sponge cake. The mascarpone gives it a creamy, rich texture as well as flavour. Store any leftovers in the fridge and eat within 1-2 days for the best taste.
- 225g (8oz) butter, softened
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 1tbsp milk
- 3tbsp strawberry jam, sieved
- 2tsp lemon juice
- 150g (6oz) strawberries
- 142ml carton double cream
- 125g (5oz) mascarpone cheese
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Few halved strawberries, to decorate
The sponge cakes can be made a day ahead, but don't add the filling until 2-3 hours before serving.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until pale and creamy. Beat in the eggs, a spoonful at a time. Add a little flour if the mixture begins to curdle. Fold in the rest of the flour and milk.
- Divide mixture between 2 greased, lined 20cm (8in) round loose-based cake tins. Level the surface. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4) for 20-25 mins until risen, golden and firm to the touch.
- Cool the cakes in the tins for 5 mins, then turn out on to a cooling rack. Leave to cool completely. Mix together the sieved jam and lemon juice. Hull and slice the strawberries; stir gently into the jam mixture.
- Slowly beat the cream into the mascarpone cheese. Spread the mixture over one of the sponges and top with the fruit mix and the other sponge. Dust with icing sugar; decorate with halved strawberries.
Fancy making a classic Victoria sponge? Try our easy Victoria sponge recipe