Total time:(plus chilling)
Skill level: Easy peasy
A light and colourful fruit salad is great for any time of the day from breakfast to dinner. This recipe is made with a simple lemon flavoured sugar syrup which will add a little sweetness to the fruit and also prevents the sliced pear from browning. You can vary the fruit depending on what’s in season at the time of making but always choose fruit which is firm and just ripe with no blemishes or soft spots. Serve with natural yoghurt, single cream or ice cream, if you like
- 75g granulated sugar
- 300ml water
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 firm pears, peeled cored and sliced
- 2 ripe peaches, peeled, stoned and chopped
- 4 canned pineapple rings, drained and quartered
- 100g fresh raspberries
- 75g blueberries
- 75g redcurrants, removed from stalks
- ½ tsp ground mixed spice (optional)
For a tropical flavour, scoop the juice, seeds and flesh from 1 large passion fruit and stir into the fruit salad.
- Place the sugar, water, lemon juice and cinnamon stick in a pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for 3-4 mins until syrupy then remove the pan from the heat, stir in the sliced pears and leave to cool.
- Place the rest of the fruit in a shallow bowl and pour over the cooled syrup and pears (remove the cinnamon stick). Stir gently and cover and chill for 2 hrs. Serve the fruit salad sprinkled with mixed spice, if liked.