Mushroom, leek and cheese omelette
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Omelettes are great when you're in a rush - and this tasty veggie combo will put you well on your way to getting your five-a-day.
- 175g (6oz) mushrooms, quartered
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 55g (2oz) butter
- 12 eggs
- 2tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 4tbsp milk
- 115g (4oz) Brie, sliced
Want to make this for under £1 head?
Cost: £3.68 (Asda)
Items: 2 x Smartprice eggs (6) £1.26, Somerset Brie £1, Leek (100g) 25p, Mushrooms (200g) 50p, Cut chives (25g) 67p
(Prices correct at time of writing. See mysupermarket for more deals).
Find more recipes for under £1 a head
To guarantee the eggs you're using are safe, buy ones stamped with the Lion Quality mark. This means they come from British hens that have been vaccinated against salmonella.
- Stir-fry the mushrooms and leek separately in half the butter for 5 mins and set aside.
- Put the eggs, chives and milk in a bowl, season and whisk lightly.
- Heat the remaining butter in a frying pan. Add a quarter of the egg mixture to the pan and stir until almost set. Top with a quarter of the mushrooms, leek and Brie, and cook for 30 secs.
- Fold in half and keep warm while cooking the other three omelettes.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 472(kcal)
- Fat 38.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.