Spiced poached pears
Skill level: Easy peasy
Cinnamon adds a spicy kick to these delicious poached pears. The result? A lush low-fat dessert
- 6 firm Conference pears
- 1 litre cranberry and raspberry juice
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Few strips peeled orange rind
Add a few raspberries or blackberries to the syrup to add colour.
- Peel the pears, leaving the stalks on. Remove the core from the base of each with the tip of a potato peeler or melon baller.
- Place the pears in a pan and pour over the juice. Add the sugar, cinnamon stick and orange rind. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved, then simmer for 20-25 mins until the pears are tender. Turn the pears occasionally in the liquid to ensure that they're evenly cooked.
- Remove the pears from the syrup and place in a serving bowl. Boil the liquid for 5-10 mins until syrupy. Strain the hot syrup over the pears, discarding the cinnamon and orange peel. Serve the pears warm with a spoonful of yogurt. Alternatively, leave them to cool completely then chill in the fridge for 3-4 hrs before serving.