Vegetarian Moroccan sharing platter
Skill level: Easy peasy
Try our delicious Moroccan vegetarian sharing platter recipes which includes nuts, dip, halloumi morsels and feta parcels - easy to make and tasty too! This platter serves 4 people and should take 1hr and 20 mins to make all four treats. The buttery spinach and feta parcels work wonders with the homemade spiced carrot dip. The halloumi morsels and chilli and honey-glazed nuts work well together too - plenty of flavours from subtle sweet honey to spicy red chilli infused nibbles. This platter makes the perfect starter if you've got friends or family around for dinner or is the ideal spread for parties.
IngredientsFor the chilli and honey-glazed nuts:
- 50g pistachio nuts
- 50g blanched almonds
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1tbsp honey
- 200g pack halloumi
- 2tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- Large pinch of chilli powder
- 3 chopped carrots
- 1tsp harissa paste
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Pinch of ground ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 1tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 25g butter
- 300g fresh spinach
- Four 15cm x 40cm sheets of filo pastry
- 100g crumbled feta cheese
- 1 beaten egg
Keep an eye on the halloumi while it cooks: it may look like nothing is happening for ages but it can burn in seconds!
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat and toast pistachio nuts and blanched almonds for 3 to 4 mins, until golden.
- Add chilli flakes and ground cumin and toast for 1 min. Drizzle over 1tbsp honey and heat until bubbling, then cook for 2 mins or until dark gold.
- Tip the nuts onto greaseproof paper and cool.
- Cut the halloumi into bite-size pieces. Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and fry the cheese for 2 to 3 mins over a high heat until golden all over.
- Add 1tbsp olive oil, ¼ tsp cumin seeds and a large pinch of chilli powder and heat through for 1 min. Serve warm.
- Simmer 3 chopped carrots in a small saucepan of water for 10 mins, until really soft. Transfer to a food processor and blend.
- Add 1tsp harissa paste, ½ tsp ground cumin, pinch of ground ginger, 1 garlic clove, 1tbsp red wine vinegar, 4tbsp extra virgin olive oil and blend again. Season with salt. Serve with pitta bread or crudités.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6. Melt the butter in a frying pan over a high heat and add the fresh spinach. Cook until wilted, tossing it about so it cooks evenly and all the liquid disappears. Tip the spinach into a bowl and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile to make eight parcels, cut each sheet of filo pastry (defrosted if frozen) into two strips around 7.5cm (3in) wide.
- Add the crumbled feta cheese and 1 beaten egg to the cooled spinach and season with black pepper and pinch of nutmeg. Place a spoonful of the spinach at one end of one strip of filo and fold over the corner to make a triangle shape, then fold the triangle down the length of the pastry in the same way. Repeat with the rest of the spinach mixture and the filo pastry strips.
- Place the parcels on a baking sheet and brush generously with olive oil, then sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 12 to 15 mins until golden. Serve warm.