Father's Day cake
Prep time:(including decorating time)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Looking for a cake to make dad for Fatherís Day? This impressive Father's Day cake recipe is finished with a deliciously light mousseline cream which is made from milk, sugar and butter. Decorate this cake with fresh strawberries and marzipan. You can even write dad a personalised message using white chocolate and a small piping bag. This cake is perfect for sharing with the family too as it serves 8-10 people. If your dad doesnít like strawberries you could swap them for other fresh berries dipped in chocolate instead. Store this cake in the fridge until itís ready to serve.
For the sponge:
- Shop-bought 20-23cm (8-9in) chocolate sponge, cut in half horizontally (or make your own chocolate sponge with our recipe)
- 2tbsp kirsch syrup
For the mousseline cream:
- 250ml (9fl oz) milk
- 125g (4Ĺ oz) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 35g (1ľ oz) plain flour
- 125g (4Ĺ oz) butter, softened
- About 4tbsp kirsch
For the topping:
- 400g (14oz) strawberries
- 225g (8oz) marzipan
- Green food colouring (optional)
- 55g (2oz) white chocolate, melted
- 25g (1oz) dark chocolate, melted
To make kirsch syrup, heat 2tsp water with 2tsp caster sugar and 1tsp kirsch until the sugar dissolves. Boil for 3-4 mins or until it thickens.
- Place one sponge half on a plate. Set the ring from a deep, loose-based sandwich tin over the cake. Sprinkle sponge with kirsch syrup.
- Heat milk with half the sugar until it just bubbles. Whisk eggs with the rest of the sugar until pale and fluffy. Sift in flour and mix.
- Pour hot milk on to the egg mixture and stir. Pour back into the pan and heat gently, stirring, until thick. Remove from heat and leave until warm, then whisk in 55g (2oz) softened butter.
- When it has cooled, gradually whisk in the remaining butter. Beat with an electric mixer for about 5 mins or until mousseline is light. Add kirsch to taste.
- Halve half the strawberries and press against the sides of the cake ring. Pour in mousseline cream and place the other sponge half on top. Sprinkle with any remaining kirsch and leave to set in the fridge.
- Knead marzipan on a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar, and add a few drops of edible food colouring. Roll into a 20cm/8in diameter circle. Remove the ring and place the marzipan on top.
- Dip remaining strawberries in chocolate and put on top of marzipan. Spoon remaining white chocolate into a piping bag and write a message.