Chicken and mushroom pie recipe
Skill level: Easy peasy
This delicious chicken and mushroom pie recipe is the ultimate comfort food. This chicken and mushroom pie made with double cream, white wine and thyme is great on cold nights, but a family favourite all year long. This pie takes around 1hr and 15 mins to prepare and cook and serves 4 people. This rich and creamy pie is a real family winner. Serve with mashed potato or new potatoes and plenty of freshly cooked veggies including spinach, peas and broccoli. Even your little ones will love this hearty dish. This pie is a great comfort food option all year round. It'll keep you warm in the colder, winter months and will keep you fuller for longer in the spring sunshine.
Top tip: Watching your weight? Use a cream substitute such as Elmlea instead of double cream in this chicken and mushroom pie.
- 55g (2oz) butter
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 300g (10½ oz) mushrooms, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 40g (1½ oz) plain flour
- 150ml (5fl oz) dry white wine
- 300ml (10fl oz) chicken stock
- 4 ready-roasted chicken breasts, cubed
- 142ml pot double cream
- 250g packet ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sprigs of thyme, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6). Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 5 mins. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 mins. Add the garlic and thyme and fry for 3 mins. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for a further 5 mins.
- Add the white wine and the chicken stock, bring to the boil and simmer until thickened.
- Stir in the chicken, simmer for 5 mins, add the cream and season.
- Spoon into four ovenproof dishes and top with circles of pastry. Trim the edges and brush with the beaten egg. Top each with a sprig of thyme. Bake for 15 mins until risen.
- Serve your chicken and mushroom pies, still warm from the open, with a big spoon on creamy mash and minted peas.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 770(kcal)
- Fat 50.0g
- Saturates 28.0g
- Sugars 3.0g
- Salt 1.9g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.