Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Remember making these as a child? That's because it's one of the easiest recipes for kids - and great for parties, too
- 500g (1lb 2oz) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 egg white, stiffly whipped
- 1-2tsp lemon juice
- Few drops peppermint oil, to taste
- Half a 36g jar natural crystallised violet petals
- Half a 36g jar natural crystallised rose petals
These peppermint creams also make great after-dinner mints. Dip the dried discs in good-quality melted chocolate - and forget the petals!
- Mix together the icing sugar, egg white, lemon juice and peppermint oil until you have the texture of pastry. Knead well so that the mixture is smooth, then roll out on a work surface lightly dusted with icing sugar to a thickness of 1cm (½in).
- Cut out rounds with a 2½-4cm (1-1½in) cutter - or for fun, try different shaped cutters such as stars, hearts and moons. Pop them on a piece of greaseproof paper and decorate with the crystallized violet and rose petals. Leave to harden for 12 hours or overnight.