Egg and bacon potato cakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Use up your leftovers with these quick-to-prepare but oh-so-satisfying potato cakes
- 300g (10½ oz) leftover mashed potato
- 2tbsp chopped chives
- Knob of butter
- 4 rindless rashers back bacon
- 2 medium eggs
Don't add any extra butter or milk to the mashed potato, just seasoning - otherwise it will be too soft to shape into cakes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6). Place the cold mashed potato in a bowl and stir in the chives. Season, then shape into two round cakes.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan, add the butter, and cook the potato cakes for a few mins on each side until golden.
- Place on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 10-15 mins or until piping hot. Meanwhile, grill the bacon on both sides until crisp.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, crack in the eggs and poach to taste.
- To serve, place a hot potato cake on each plate, followed by a couple of bacon rashers and top with a poached egg.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 400(kcal)
- Fat 27.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.