Low-fat fruit tea loaf
Prep time:plus soaking
Fancy a guilt-free teatime treat? This fruity loaf is full of health-boosting antioxidants - and it's low-fat!
- 1 Darjeeling tea bag
- 300g (11oz) soft dried fruit such as apricots, prunes or apples
- 175g (6oz) soft brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 225g (8oz) wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
Darjeeling tea gives this loaf a sweet, exotic flavour. But it also tastes great made with Earl Grey.
- Grease and base line a 1kg (2¼ lb) loaf tin. Soak the tea bag in 300ml (½ pt) boiling water for 5 mins. Roughly chop the fruit and add to the tea, discarding the tea bag and soak for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4). Mix in the sugar and eggs.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and mixed spice and fold into the fruit mixture.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 1½ hours or until firm to touch and a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before slicing.