Cooking time:plus cooling time
These super-cute, super-sweet cakes are great for parties. Simply decorate them to suit the occasion
For the cakes:
- 125g (4½ oz) unsalted butter
- 125g (4½ oz) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 125g (4½ oz) plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
For the icing:
- 400g (14oz) icing sugar, sifted
- Lemon juice to taste
- Few drops edible food colouring
- 55g (2oz) dark chocolate, melted
- 55g (2oz) white chocolate, melted
- Edible ladybirds, flowers and leaves, to decorate
Pile these little cakes on top of one another for a wedding cake with a difference.
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Gradually whisk in eggs. Sieve together flour and baking powder and fold into cake mix with vanilla extract. Spoon into a greased, lined 18cm (7in) square cake tin and bake in an oven preheated to 190ºC (375ºF, gas mark 5) for 20-25 mins or until firm to touch. Leave to cool for 10 mins. Turn out on to a wire rack. Cut cake into 16 squares and pop back on wire rack.
- Make glacé icing by gradually adding 4tbsp warm water to the icing sugar, mixing. Add enough lemon juice to give you an icing thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. If you want different coloured cakes, divide the mixture and colour accordingly. Spoon glacé icing over the top and sides of each cake. Leave to set.
- Pop melted chocolate into a small piping bag (made from greaseproof paper) and pipe zigzags over the top and sides of each cake. Add edible decorations.