French toast with plum compote
Prep time:plus soaking time
Skill level: Bit of effort
A simple-but-delicious way of having eggs for breakfast. Make sure the bread is super-chunky - and serve with natural yogurt.
- 350g (12oz) ripe plums
- 3tbsp clear honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3tbsp water
- 2 medium eggs
- 3tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- 2 thick slices wholegrain bread (about 125g)
- 1tbsp mild olive oil
- 2tsp caster sugar
If you prefer, you can usse fresh apricots or apples instead of the plums.
- Halve and stone the plums and put in a small saucepan with 1tbsp of the honey, cinnamon stick and water. Cover and heat very gently for about 5 mins until the plums are soft but not falling apart.
- Beat the remaining honey with the eggs and milk. Put the bread slices in a single layer on a dinner plate. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and leave to stand for 10 mins until absorbed.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, preferably non-stick. Halve or quarter the bread slices diagonally and add to the pan. Fry gently for 1-2 mins on each side until golden.
- Drain onto serving plates and sprinkle with the sugar. Serve with the plum compote.