Aubergine and mozzarella pasta
Costs: Cheap as chips
Chunky aubergine, tasty pine nuts and melt-in-the-mouth mozzarella turn this pasta dish into a flavoursome feast
- 400g (14oz) penne pasta
- 1 aubergine, sliced or cut into chunks
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 400g jar tomato, onion and garlic pasta sauce
- 2 x 150g packets mozzarella, torn up
- 55g (2oz) pine nuts, toasted
- 20g packet fresh basil, torn up
If you're not too keen on aubergine, try using mixed peppers or artichokes instead.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water for 10-12 mins. Meanwhile, fry the aubergine in the oil until browned and softened.
- Stir the sauce into the aubergines and heat through, then add the cooked pasta. Stir well, and set aside to cool slightly.
- Gently stir through the mozzarella, pine nuts and fresh basil, then season and serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 731(kcal)
- Fat 33.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.