Pepper and mozzarella strudel
This mouthwatering vegetable and cheese strudel makes a hearty, flavour-filled vegetarian main meal
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and thickly sliced
- 2 yellow peppers, deseeded and thickly sliced
- 1 aubergine, thinly sliced
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 200g (7oz) filo pastry
- 100g (3½ oz) butter, melted
- 2 x 125g packets mozzarella, torn
- Small bunch basil, torn
- Crisp salad and new potatoes, to serve
Orange peppers work just as well in this recipe - so you can ring the changes if you prefer.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6). Combine the peppers and aubergine with the oil and season well. Cook under a preheated grill for 10 mins or until softened and lightly charred.
- Place a sheet of filo pastry on greaseproof paper and brush with butter. Arrange three sheets of pastry on top, overlapping, creating a rectangle 40 x 30cm (16 x 12in).
- Brush with butter and top with another layer of filo. Place the aubergine slices down the centre of the filo and layer up with the peppers and mozzarella, finishing with the basil.
- Fold the ends of the filo over the vegetables. Using greaseproof paper, roll the filo up. Put on a baking sheet, brush with more butter and season well. Bake for 25 mins or until golden brown. Serve with a crisp salad and new potatoes.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 570(kcal)
- Fat 38.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.