Maple roast parsnips with sesame seeds
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
The aroma of roasting parsnips is really irresistible - and adding maple syrup makes them even more delicious
- 700g (1lb 9oz) parsnips, peeled
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 2tbsp maple syrup
- 3tbsp sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
If you're using older, tougher parsnips, cut them into quarters and remove the woody cores.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7). Cut the parsnips in half lengthways and in half again. Add to a pan of boiling salted water and parboil for 2 mins. Drain well.
- Place the butter and maple syrup in a small pan or microwave and heat gently.
- Transfer the parsnips to a roasting tin then brush with the maple mixture and season to taste. Cook, shaking the pan frequently, for 30 mins or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle over the sesame seeds and return to the oven for 5 mins. Transfer to a warm serving dish.