Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These chunky burgers will please both vegetarians and meat lovers. Packed with fibre and flavour, they are simple to prepare and can be made in advance and frozen (defrost thoroughly before cooking). You can use any combination of canned beans or replace half with cooked chickpeas or green lentils. Add an extra spicy flavour to the burgers by stirring 1-2 tsp harissa paste or curry paste into the mashed bean mixture
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained
- 210g can butter beans, drained
- 210g can red kidney beans, drained
- 75g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1tbsp fresh chopped coriander
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Burger buns, salad and thinly sliced vegetables, to serve
If you prefer you can cook the burgers in the oven; place on a greased baking tray and brush lightly with oil then cook at 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5 for 15-20 mins until light golden.
- Tip all the beans into a colander and rinse under cold running water. Drain well and pat dry with kitchen paper. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and mash until roughly crushed with a potato masher.
- Add the breadcrumbs, spring onions, coriander and egg and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix thoroughly with clean hands then divide shape and divide into four chunky burgers.
- Place the burgers on a foil-lined grill pan and brush with olive oil. Cook under a medium-hot grill for 5-6 mins on each side until light golden and piping hot.
- Serve the hot burgers in split burger buns with salad and sliced vegetables.