Grilled aubergines with chillis and mint
This gutsy aubergine dish, spiked with chilli and mint, is wonderful served warm with a Sunday roast. It also makes a great cold salad with some crumbled feta cheese on top
- 2 medium aubergines
- 1 small bunch fresh mint
- A good fruity olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1tsp finely chopped red chilli
- 200ml (7floz) tub reduced-fat hummus
- 8tbs low-fat natural yoghurt
- 25g (1oz) pine nuts
- Salt and ground black pepper
Aubergines soak up oil, so salting and grilling offers a lighter option to frying. The aubergine slices become charred and smoky on top but soft and succulent in the middle.
- Thickly slice the aubergines into chunky rounds about 1cm or ½in thick (if they're too thin, they will just burn and stick). Make a few quick shallow slashes across each flat side then sprinkle the aubergines lightly with salt and set aside while you make the mint dressing.
- Roughly chop the mint, then stir together with 2tbsp of the olive oil, the lemon juice, chilli and seasoning. Be generous with the pepper, tasting as you go. The dressing should be quite lively! Beat together the houmous and yoghurt.
- Rinse the aubergines gently then pat them dry. Brush a baking sheet with a little oil and arrange the slices on it in one layer (cook in two batches if necessary).
- Brush the aubergine slices lightly with oil and put them under a hot grill. When they are soft and golden and beginning to char at the edges, after about 4-5 mins, turn them over and cook the other side for 3-4 minus.
- Sprinkle over the pine nuts and pop back under the grill for 1-2 mins until toasted. Lift the aubergines off the baking sheet and onto a warmed plate. Spoon the mint dressing over and around the aubergines and serve hot with the hummus to dollop on top and a sprinkling of pine nuts.