Queen of puddings
Skill level: Bit of effort
This delicious and traditional British dessert really is a dish fit for royalty with thick custard and jam topped with light and fluffy meringue
- 568ml carton of full-fat milk
- Grated rind of 1 large lemon
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 55g (2oz) caster sugar
- 115g (4oz) brioche, broken into crumbs
- 9 tbsp strawberry jam, warmed
For the topping:
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
You will need:
- 6 x 200ml (7fl oz) ramekins
This dessert isn't suitable for freezing so you'll have to eat it all up asap. What a shame!
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 325°F, gas mark 3. Pour the milk into a pan, add the lemon rind and bring to the boil. Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and caster sugar until pale and thick. Gradually whisk in the hot milk mixture and stir in the brioche crumbs.
- Place the ramekins in a roasting tin and fill each one with the lemon custard mixture. Pour boiling water around the ramekins to make a bain-marie and bake for 30 mins, or until the mixture has just set.
- Remove the ramekins from the oven, brush the jam liberally over the top of the mixture and transfer to a grill pan.
- For the topping: Whisk the egg whites until stiff, but not dry, then gradually whisk in the sugar to make a meringue mixture.
- Spoon the mixture on top of the jam in the ramekins and flash under a preheated grill for 1 to 2 mins or until golden. Serve immediately.